Updated: Apr 13
Congratulations on finding your dream home! Now it’s time for the big move. To ensure your transition is as smooth as possible, we’ve created a moving checklist for you to follow from the beginning to the end of your journey. Happy moving!
6 Weeks out
* Set a budget for the move
* Confirm your moving date
* Book your movers and/or ask friends and family to lend a hand
* Create a floor plan of your new home and plan where to place your furniture
* Arrange insurance coverage for your new home
* Arrange to transfer school and medical records
* Donate unwanted possessions
4 Weeks out
* Gather packing supplies
* Strategize on "easy to find" packing plan to organize your essentials
* Start packing what you can - take one room at a time!
* Discontinue or transfer utilities and essential services to your new address
* Notify banks, postal offices, credit card companies, etc of your new change of address
* Reserve an elevator for move day if necessary
2 Weeks out
* Review plans with your moving company
* Confirm any services that may be required on moving day
* Take photos of any valuables- these would be needed to file claims should damage occur during your move
* Put room labels on your furniture and other large items to help moving day easier
1 Week out
* Finish packing all of your belongings and ensure all boxes are clearly labelled especially bed linens.
* Acquire moving day essentials , snacks, scissors, garbage bags and water
* Do a walkthrough of your old home to make sure everything is removed and clean. Remove all garbage and recycling
* Locate your box of bed linens first and make sure the beds are made
* Unpack your essential items and store boxes you won't need for a while in the basement, garage or storage locker so you can enjoy your new space
* Walk through your new home and ensure all of your belongings have arrived and are not damaged
* Recycle empty boxes and dispose of garbage
* Eat, relax, and enjoy the first night in your new home!